Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Reflections on a Rainy Day

I woke up this morning to a gray sky and slow, drenching rain. Off to Shutka I went, umbrella in hand. The kids were waiting outside the church door earlier than normal today, wearing their winter coats for the first time this year. The conversations and little interactions I have with the children is what makes it all so interesting. Today Bajram asked me with great drama, "Jenn moved to Greece didn't she?" I informed him this was indeed true. "It's warm in Greece!" was his response. The other children were gazing up at me, waiting eagerly for my response, as though as I held all the answers. I told them that Greece is indeed warmer, but that does not mean it is always warm. I could see the longing in their eyes for a place where they would not have to suffer from the cold.

I sat on the bench with a little girl on either side, one of them clutching me around the waist. Looking out at the rain I asked them jokingly if they thought God was crying today. One little boy quickly corrected me, "No, the Lord is crying." Bajram chimed in with great solemnity, "No, God is not crying. The way it works is that the water falls from clouds in the sky, and then when the sun comes out the water evaporates, and forms clouds again." . I praised him heartily, telling him I could see he had been going to school (something I do my best to encourage at every opportunity, since some of the children don't bother to go). This began a competition to see who could impress me with their educational accomplishments.
One boy puffed out his chest, looked over at me and announced, "I am in sixth grade!" . His declaration was followed by hoots of laughter and shouts of, "He's lying! He's in first grade with the little kids!" . I laughed, but was sad at the same time thinking of little Zunka sitting next to me in sullen silence, tears on her cheeks from when the big boys had been tormenting her with teasing. She is so little and helpless and sweet, and they tease her so badly.

Then conversation turned to our new friend from America, Sam. They were asking me about him, "Hey, what's that guys name?" "Is he from Germany?" Then one boy turns to the other, "I think he's Jesus!" (Sam has shoulder length hair, like the picture of Jesus on the church wall) "Yea, his hair is really awesome and long like Jesus'!" Sam quickly assured them he is not Jesus, but they still thought his hair was awesome.

Just as we started serving the food to the children the electricity went out. No electricity, no water. So, now there is a pile of dishes from about forty children sitting unwashed in the sink until the electricity comes back on. This is not an uncommon occurrence in Shutka.

Walking to my language class I got an unwelcome shower. The drainage system in Skopje is nearly non-existent. Every time a car goes by, huge waves of filthy water shower anyone standing within a six foot vicinity. Today I was victim. I chose to take the bus home because of the rain. To my chagrin, the bus was not much of an improvement over outdoors. There were so many holes in the roof I had to dodge the dirty drops of water. I considered the possibility of opening my umbrella, but decided that would just look too absurd. By the time I excited the bus to walk home I was so soaked I didn't care any more whether I got hit by another wave from a passing car, so I just quit paying attention. Oh well, it just makes a warm house and cup of tea that much more inviting. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment